I love learning random facts, though I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t always remember what I’ve learned. If you’re into geography, sports, or random trivia, you’ll find Dan Gutman’s My Weird School Fast Facts: Geography and My Weird School Fast Facts: Sports very awesome reads.
1. Are you already a fan of Gutman’s My Weird School (and My Weirder School and My Weird School Daze) series, which began in 2004? My students love these stories, which are full of memorable characters and funny dialogue. We particularly enjoy their rockin’ rhymin’ titles like Mrs. Yonkers is Bonkers! and Mr. Harrison is Embarrassin’!.
2. In both Geography and Sports, you get to hang out with A.J. and Andrea outside of school. Their very different personalities make for great banter between them. I’d like to think that they are still friends-ish even though they bother the heck out of each other a lot.
3. There were so many places I had already known (like Pangæa and Lake Vostok), but many others that were completely new to me (like Chimborazo and West Quoddy Head). You’ll learn a TON of new geography facts.
4. And I haven’t forgotten about you sports fans. You’ll love learning about how “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” began and why Ulrich Salchow’s and Alois Lutz’ names are mentioned very often in the winter.
5. I particularly enjoyed how Gutman divides each book: Geography has chapters based on various elements like water, the continents, and natural disasters. I really liked the section where he names a few interesting facts about each US state. Makes me want to go on a road trip! Sports is, as you can guess, divided into chapters based on different sports. The one on baseball is really long, so my only disappointment is that the other chapters (like the one on hockey) were just as long. I am glad that curling and table tennis were mentioned though! And I loved learning lots of cool stuff about the Olympics.
Thank you, HarperCollins, for sending me a copy of My Weird School Fast Facts: Geography and My Weird School Fast Facts: Sports
in exchange for an honest review.
All Squinklethoughts expressed herein are entirely my own.